Friday, January 7, 2011

Guilty Pleasures [book] and a little Nine [movie]

So I said earlier that I would never get the Nine soundtrack in my collection. But I found a good copy for it will be joining it momentarily. We'll see if the music grows on me or if it ends up in the trash.

As for Guilty Pleasures, by Laurell K. Hamilton, was a wonderfully enjoyable read. Guilty Pleasures introduces the character Anita Blake. Anita Blake was introduced to me through a comic book called the Laughing Corpse, which is actually the second book in the series. Anita Blake catches my interest kind of like the way Lara Croft caught my attention.

Normally, I don't read female authors. The characters are way heavy on romance or perfect english. I have my favorites though: Sue Grafton and now Laurell K. Hamilton.

Anita Blake is a strong woman who kicks ass. She is a Vampire killer for the police and an animator, someone who raises the dead. So this is kind of a sci fi, horror, mystery novel. Something that definitely catches my attention.

In this alternate universe, the law now protects werewolfs, vampires and other forms of the dead. There's even a church for vampires, the only church that can promise you eternal life. You immediately get sucked in and before you know it, the book is almost over. Great read, definitely recommend. Can't say too much because I don't want to give it away. The one scene that is stuck in my mind is when the wererat tris to rape Anita. Nasty, nasty and nasty. Can't wait to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment